Monday, November 21, 2011

 

Obscurity of the Day: Newsy Movie Notes

A popular sub-category of the 'weird facts' newspaper comics genre focuses on the world of movies and movie stars. One of the earlier examples of it is Newsy Movie Notes, a local feature of the Chicago Daily News. It ran in their Midweek feature section on Wednesdays, where it proffered news items from Hollywood accompanied by cartoons and photos. The writer/cartoonist was a fellow named MacArthur, of whom I know nothing.

The weekly feature began sometime in 1928 and ended on November 6 1929. I missed the 1928 start date in my microfilm indexing because it was a rush job at the Library of Congress, leaving me with yet another item on my seemingly endless to-do list.

PS 12/27/2018: I just found a promo for this feature that IDs the creator as William L. MacArthur. Evidently the Daily News was also trying to syndicate it, so forget me calling it a "local feature" -- they at least wanted to sell it to other papers.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]